Thursday, December 27, 2007

Next Steps

Hi Folks,

It's been two weeks since surgery and I continue to improve every day. I have some pain here and there and I can tell when I start to overdo it, but I really can't complain. I have actually been somewhat enjoying my time off. With the Christmas holiday, I haven't had too much time to be stir-crazy. It is very weird not to get up and go to the office, though. I haven't had this much time off work since high school!

Next Thursday, January 3rd, I head back up to The Cleveland Clinic to meet with my plastic surgeon and my oncologist. After that I should know more about my chemo regimen... things like frequency, duration, and location. I have to say, I'm not looking forward to this part. I am such a wimp about needles! I can never look when they "stick" me. I'm praying that I don't get sick.

There are times when I look ahead to this whole process and feel so overwhelmed and feel I can't do it. The fact is, I can't do it all. But I know that, with God's help, I can do the next thing. Then, when that's over, with God's help, I can do the next thing. It is such a growing time for me in my faith. Intellectually, I know that I can trust God and that He is trustworthy. But am I really willing to completely trust him with my life? As I have thought about it, I realize that I don't really have a choice, nor do I want one. The fact is, I have no control and never have. That was only an illusion. And I don't have the strength or power to control this situation. The only thing I can control is my response. So I'm choosing to trust Him. Completely. No matter what. I know that God knows and loves me far more than my family, friends, coworkers or anyone else ever will. And His plans for me are good... even when I don't understand or even like what's going on. He will never leave my side. When I remember that (yeah, I need to be reminded), it gives me a sense of peace and comfort that I can't explain.

Ok, enough about me. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! In less than a week it is 2008! I think for my New Year's resolution, I'm going to go for a new hairstyle. I'm thinking of shaving my head and starting over, whaddaya think?

Have a Happy New Year, everyone!

Love,
Cheryl

5 comments:

Beth said...

It's so good to hear from you m'dear! I've been wondering what's going on in the life and mind of Cheryl! Glad you're keeping busy and enjoying your time off. So, that new hairstyle...with it comes time saved getting ready and money saved by not buying all those wonderful products...you'll finally know what it's like to be Mike Pacula =)
Love you dear, you're on my mind, in my heart, and right smack dab in the middle of my prayers! - B

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl!

Thanks for the update. We've been thinking of you and praying for you! We had a great Christmas. We've actually had snow on the ground for several weeks now. BBRRRRRR! I'm ready for summer! You made it through the first part of this journey and now we'll be right here praying you through the second part!!!! Hang in there!

Love,
Mike and Lisa

Tina said...

Sometimes when I read, I am praying that I will be able to write something that encourages you and everytime you are the one who encourages me! You know what to say, you have the right attitude, and most of all you know where your strength comes from. You inspire me.
About the new style, I can see you rockin' that. Just my opinion.
Your'e all class, girl. Keep on doing "the next thing" knowing God goes before you.
Happy New Year.
Love
T

Cindy said...

We ARE under a delusion that we have control over our lives, aren't we? Not one part of this journey tough, is taking our heavenly Father by surprise. Whew, what a relief!

Love you sis, and Tina, I love how you reminded us how God goes before us! Happy New Year to you and Ted! btw: You haven't started with a southern accent have you??

Cindy

Tina said...

Hi cindy!
Happy New Year back at ya!
No, accent yet detected, just an occassional y'all.
Love you guys!
I'll be in touch one way or another
see ya Cheryl,
Love Tina