Monday, January 28, 2008

Back to Work!

Hi Everyone!

Today was my first day back to work after more than 6 weeks off. Wow, it is good to be back! I feel like a productive member of society again (well, at least somewhat!). I won't lie though, it was really nice to have the time off to recuperate and go to the many doctors' appointments. It was so odd, though, not to get up and head off to work each morning. I've never "not worked". I took advantage of the time off by catching up with family and friends and even played some Mario on Nintendo (yes, the old original one). My niece beat me every time, of course, but it was still fun.

How am I feeling? Right now I feel great, with very little side effects. There are times when I'm achy or extra tired, but for the most part I do whatever I want. My taste buds have changed somewhat. Something that sounded so good to me last week makes me cringe right now. I do best with cold foods, especially fruit.

How am I doing overall? Well, I do have my "pity party" moments. Like this past weekend at a time when I had no energy... I was thinking how crazy this whole process is. I felt fine before I was diagnosed, and even before chemo. But here I am, allowing all these chemicals to enter my body and make me potentially feel awful and lose my hair. It doesn't seem to make sense. And it's all so that I won't get sick later. So why doesn't everyone just go through chemo so NO ONE has to deal with cancer later in life, right? Poor me, I'm going through chemo...

The fact is, it's not "poor me". I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God has plans for me that are so much bigger than my plans. And I know that He loves me more than anyone on this earth ever could or will. So, it's ok. I'll get through this and then on to another challenge. I won't promise never to complain, but at the end of the day, I know God's got me in the palm of His hand. That's good enough for me.

Hugs and kisses,
Cheryl

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! So surprised that you're back to work. I thought you would be off work for a bit longer. I am sure that work was glad to see and put you to work right away.

Hey when you lose your hair you can be a blonde one day and then a brunette the next. Leave everyone guessing. Or you could say your pulling a Britney Spears. Oh the options are so many.

No matter what you look beautiful as always! Thanks for being my new role model.

Keep the updates coming.

Love and Prayers,
Pam

Melissa said...

Been thinking of you and praying for you. So great to read your update and your honesty is so amazing. And your faith is truly inspirational.

Sending lots of love...

Beth said...

Glad you're back to work, isn't it great how feeling productive can brighten an attitude! It's the best way to keep the "pitty potty" from taking up residence smack dab in the middle of our lives! You've taught me so much thru these past months. (hmmmm, maybe that's years? =) I love your attitude Cheryl! You acknowledge your fear and your frustration, but you always move on. God is using you, even the midst of this muck.

My kids have a Hannah Montana wig we can loan you...anything for you dear =)

Love you lots!

Lamar said...

It's so good to have you back at work!
The office is always different when you're here. Not because you're "different" or anything. :)
It's always brighter and more fun with you at the office.
I'm glad you're back and I'm sure the rest of the team is too.
Blessings,
-lamar

Tina said...

I'm glad that some normalcy in life is returning though I'm sure things are very different.
Your attitude is so inspiring to me.
Love you and think of you so much
Tina

Friends Radio & Media said...

Hey Cheryl Ann....sorry I missed lunch the other day, but Christian won first place in the Pinewood Derby! Good thing Mom didn't miss it.

Praying for you and I'M ENCOURAGED by your splendid attitude. Aren't we suppose to be encouraging you? : )

Love you lots. Lisa

Tammy Lynn said...

Cheryl,
so glad to hear you are back to work! (I know, I'm a little slow...I'm commenting only a week later:) I'm sure the familiar routine is nice. I will be praying for you this Thursday as you go for round "two".
Thanks for the remarkable role model you are; showing complete honesty, yet utter trust in God. He truly does have you in the palm of his hand.
love,
Tammy