Friday, October 24, 2008

Back in the swing of things & final surgery

Cheryl started back to work this past Monday and is doing well. She seems to have jumped back into her previous schedule without missing a beat.

At her follow up appointment, she learned that she can have her final surgery (reconstruction) much sooner than expected - like before the end of the year! So that is her plan for now.

While she was off following her surgery, Cheryl went with me to Akron Childrens for an appointment for Matthew. (As if she doesn't visit enough of her own docs, I asked her to go with me. :)) On that day, we figured out that it was exactly 1 year ago - to the day - that she was diagnosed. We both immediately got teary eyed, and I was at that moment (and still am) so profoundly grateful for God's faithfulness this past year. I never would have chosen this path for Cheryl or anyone I love. If it were my decision, my loved ones wouldn't ever encounter anything like this, that would cause them suffering, worry or hardship of any kind. But, as Dwight says, "God is much more concerned about our character than our happiness." And as much as that fact is tough to swallow sometimes, I'm so glad God's in charge instead of me!

Enough of my rambling!

In Him,
Cindy

4 comments:

Tina said...

Cindy,
Give my love to Cheryl and I'm glad to hear that things are progressing nicely.
It must have been an incredible moment that you both realized this has been a year to that day. How grateful we are, though you are right we would never want to go through or our family to go through this, God has been soooo incredibly loving and so faithful through this and has allowed Cheryl and you all to be a shining light and an example to us all of bravery strength and knowing exactly where that strength comes from.
OK now I'll quit rambling.
I'm honored to know you both.
Love T
p.s. Hope all is well with little Matthew.

Cindy said...

It was a check up at the allergists. It looks like he's no longer allergic to dairy, but still has a peanut allergy. :)

So, bring on the pizza, we need to fatten him up!

Becki said...

Gee, I wish someone would want to fatten me up! Ha! I'm on that other list! I saw your lovely sister Cheryl last weekend she looked and sounded great (she sang). I hope Matthew is able to enjoy his first pizza party. Hopefully Aunt Cheryl will be in attendance.

Anonymous said...

such great news! been catching up on the bloging. Tell Cheryl to post more pics. I love to look at the pics. I am glad to hear she is back to work and doing well. Keep us updated with any future updates on Cheryl and Matthew.