Monday, July 21, 2008

Visit with Dr. Crowe

On Thursday July 17th, my sisters Kris and Norma and I met with Dr. Crowe in Cleveland to discuss my next surgery. Have I told you how much I love him? He is very soft spoken and takes the time to ask questions and then really listen. He discusses options then listens and affirms whatever decision I make. When I told him I was still planning to have the second mastectomy, he nodded. Then he told me that for every year I live, the chances of a recurrence go up slightly... not a lot, but like 1%. (So if I'm gonna live another 40 years, my chances of recurrence are 40%.) He then said that the younger a patient is when she is diagnosed, the smarter it is to do preventive surgery like I am doing. I am on the young end of the spectrum for breast cancer patients.

I had a neat encounter after my appointment. Earlier in the waiting room, another lady and I were comparing how late our appointments were running. I had been waiting 1/2 hour and she had been waiting 3/4 hour. After I left Dr. Crowe's office I met up with her again in the hall. She had just been in for her post-op visit and learned that there was no cancer in her lymph nodes and she did not have to have radiation. I remember the relief I felt in hearing that news! We celebrated a little and she asked some questions about where I am in my journey. I recognized the look in her eyes... she was so uncertain about the chemo ahead of her and didn't really know what questions to ask me. I assured her that she was going to be fine and she asked if we could stay in touch, so we exchanged phone numbers. She kept telling me that I look great. I can only attribute that to her seeing me through a heavenly filter! I have praying for opportunities to encourage other women and God has put the neatest ladies in my path. Please pray for Mary Jo. She is finding out this week what kind of chemo regimen she will have. Pray for me to, that I would be able to share my hope with her when the time is right.

When will the surgery be scheduled? Well... not as early as you may think. I received an opportunity that I could not pass up. In September I am going on a mission trip to Jordan and Northern Iraq for approximately 10 days. A team of us will be going to help with a spiritual life conference. I'm looking forward to it, although the team has less than two months to raise funds and prepare. When I went to Egypt a couple years ago, I had six months to prepare. I know it will all work out the way God wants it to go. The team and I would appreciate your prayers! But anyway, my surgery will be scheduled for after my return - it will be sometime in October. When I have a firm date I will let you know.

That's what is going on with me right now. I appreciate all of you who are hanging with me. I would love to hear from you.

Have a great week!

xoxoxo,
Cheryl

3 comments:

Tina said...

Oh thanks so much for the update!
I have no doubts that you will continue to be used in a mighty way in the lives of women just as you always have been.
BTW, I had my first Mammogram in honor of you and I have done regular monthly exams since hearing of your diagnosis.
You've inspired awareness in me and have shown great strength and your family blows me away with the love you are surrounded with.

Just had to say that.

Much love to you and Cindy.

I'll be at NewPointe Sunday. Hope to see ya both.
T

Tina said...

Oh, BTW, I'm so excited about the trip! We'll be praying!!!

and for Mary Jo.

Becki said...

So cool when God gives us opportunities! He does tell us to be "instant in season and out" so...

I'm so glad to hear that you're doing well. I know most of us have been wondering. How fun your trip will be too.