Thursday, March 6, 2008

Halfway there!

Hi Everyone!

Cheryl is halfway through her chemo treatments and the nasty red kool aid med is OVER for her! HAPPY DANCE! The last 4 treatments are said to have less harsh side effects.
Her blood counts are all pretty good.
Some people have asked what a chemo appointment entails. In an exam room a nurse will access Cheryl's port and do a blood draw for testing. Then, she meets with the Oncologist who will ask her how she's doing, talk about her blood draw results, answer any questions, etc. Then she goes from the exam room to one of the curtained areas on a long wall for her chemo treatment. This is right across/outside the nurses station. The nurses there are great and will stop by to say hello and chat some. They are very accomodating when it comes to getting extra chairs, or a table or stool to play cards. As they say, support is so important. Then comes all of the IV hookups. Then its just settling in to wait until they're through.

Here are a few pics of today's cheering section!


Rita, enjoying a magazine.




Mom & Kris. (I'm pretty sure they sit in those same 2 chairs every time.)

Mom, Kris, Cheryl and Rita. You've seen everyone else in her wig, and now you get to see Cheryl in it!

If you're in Northeast Ohio, and most of you are, stay warm and safe this weekend!

Love,
Cindy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh! Cool pics!
Looks like you guys always make the best of things and have fun. Cheryl you really do look great. I always thought people going through chemo would look pale or grey. You look so colorful. I am so glad that your halfway done. Good luck with the second half!

Tina said...

I was wondering what actually went on at those appts. Thanks for posting about this. Cheryl, you looks really good in your wig. it's the first time I've seen you with it on. Of course, you always have that smile.
I'm glad it's half way done. Love ya and always thinking of you. Ted and I prayed for you this morning. God always brings you to our minds. We'll be at NewPointe on the 16th. I hope we get to see you.